Thank you Capella Auriga for agreeing to do this interview with The Wake up.
Name:
Capella Auriga. I call myself that because it’s the brightest star in the solar system.
Please tell us a little about your background.
I’m a college graduate with a BA in human services. I’m from Roxbury. I dance, rap, act, and write. I’m a public figure on Instagram. I’ve published a book titled, “The Band” on Wattpad. I’ve spent a year at VCU of Arts for theater performance.
Birthday? Sign? How do you like to celebrate it?
My birthday is February 27th, which makes me a pisces. I like to eat eat eat, that’s how I enjoy celebrating my birthday’s.
You are a multi talented, artist, actress, comedian, musician and writer, what motivates you to partake in so many forms of art? When did you start?
I’m a creative being. The things that I partake in allow me to self express in many ways. I wouldn’t be me without them. I started acting my freshman year in college, I was in the drama club all four years. I’ve been dancing since I was in middle school and writing since 2015. As far as rapping goes, I just started rapping last year in August.
Why do you love acting?
Being an actress has the ability to bring out emotions and character in you that you’d never imagine you had. There are no boundaries to acting. One is able to live a lifestyle being more than themselves and testing their abilities to make others feel while watching them. Being able to act is a gift to me, not everyone can act because it requires a specific skill that some can’t learn in an education system.
I always find myself laughing and anyone who I have shown your skits find you very funny. Comedy is not easy yet you are able to pump out so many videos. How do you come up with the content for you comedy skits?
As I mentioned earlier I am a creative being. People often ask if I write down what i’m going to say in my videos and the truth is I do not. When you have a mind that is consistently full of ideas, as soon as u get one I would advise you to create right in that exact moment, and that is what I do. Anyone, especially now a days everyone wants to be this weird artsy creative person. Real creativity to me is being able to capture an audience even if it's only one person. When I post my videos i am expecting at least one comment, when I get that one comment even if that is the only one…I know that my duty is fulfilled as an entertainer.
How has the artist meet ups you been promoting on IG going and what are your plans with that?
I got extremely sick for the first meet up and am still trying to get over my cold. My plans for that is to really connect the city and its talents. I plan to move out of Boston before the new year and if I want to accomplish anything before I leave it would be getting the city connected in an acting sense that way when I leave I can leave behind a pool full of networks and a trend for others to take over and build from. Too many people in the city are for self and won’t work with you unless you have something to offer them. For me it's about unity and being able to connect off of social media, but to also make greatness all in the same time.
What was your purpose for creating your song, “I am Nobody” and what is the message you hope sticks with the listeners?
The purpose behind the song is that nobody ever wants to hear you. Due to the direction mainstream music has gone in our generation isn’t used to conscious or meaningful music. Supporters will always question when you're dropping music or be eager to want to support you, only to realize that the music you make isn’t mainstream mumble rap. Then you leave some disappointed and others will still rock with you, but besides that the song represents artist who feel unheard, misunderstood or underrated. I want my listeners to take whatever it is they want to take from my song. That’s the point of being an artist to me, I give my listeners and supports freedom to turn whatever I do into their own meaning. I can’t make people think the way I want them to, everyone has a mind of their own and will think for themselves.
How do you have the energy to post as much as you do and what advice do you have for other artist who want to promote what they do.
In all honesty you have to love what you do. It's the motivation that allows me consistently post content. If you’re in it for the money it’ll never work. You must love whatever you do as if it were your first child. You must cater to it and water it as if it were a seed waiting to grow into a flower. This is not a hobby for me, it's my job. There’s a difference, I don’t do this for fun, but I have fun while doing it. This is my job this is what I want to do for a living and if your talent or gift doesn’t inspire you everyday and make you want to excel in it then i would advise one to not pursue it.
How do you prioritize your work? How are you able to do it all, what inspires you?
I don’t really prioritize because everything that i do has a set purpose and meaning. I would say that rapping is something that would come last on my list and that is because it was never a passion of mine. It grew on me from the first time i dabbled in it and did the so gone challange. Other than that acting, dance, and publishing are the main sources of my gifts. I think knowing that i have the ability to entertain while also healing those that I entertain is what inspires me. What people don’t realize is that when you make someone laugh they are temporarily laughing away whatever it was that was causing them heartache. I’ve had supporters message me and tell me to keep doing what i’m doing being I make their day. Half of the time they are from other states, so that is my motivation and inspiration.
Now that you have graduated and dropped your music video what is next for you? Next project, goal and/ or moves?
I’m working on a new music video. This video express and will show a lot of who i am as an artist as well as an individual. I’m also working with a few people on a short film. I’m for the moment, therefore i’m taking things day by day. You never know when someone will discover or notice you so with that being said I can blow tomorrow, next month, or next year. I’m doing all that I can to pursue my dreams where I am until the highest source tells me that it's time to branch out and expand my horizon.
Your IG has blown up since we’ve met you. Congrats! What has it been like gaining more followers, views and going viral?
Thank you, to be honest I always tell myself and those who often ask me how the “pre-fame” feels and it feels nice. My issue is, followers don’t define greatness. I know people with over a thousand followers who do nothing for a living. Therefore, the engagement and being able to connect to my followers is what makes me feel good about it all. It's clear that the media has caused us to lack human connection, so with me being someone who still values deep human interaction it feels great when I have supporters message me and start meaningful conversations. I don’t want to be that person who people are afraid to DM because i may seem stuck up or nonchalant. At the end of it all I want to impact my audience in any way possible without them feeling disconnected from me.
Where they can find your music and skits?
My music is on SoundCloud (Capella Auriga). My skits are all over my Facebook: Capella Auriga and Instagram: @whatsnewpella
How do you edit all your video? Or what's the editing process like for you?
The editing process can be a hassle because there usually isn’t one app that does it all. You have to download a ton that have bits of what it is you need for that skit or video. Imovie is a good one that I know a lot of people use, and so is videoshop. Other than that there are tons of video editing apps that comedians use it's all about finding what works for you. Might I add that it's truly not about what you use to edit your videos. Of course you want it to look presentable, however its more about what is it you’re presenting and the content of the video.
What did you see yourself doing when you graduated high school?
Truth be told I wanted to be a teacher of some sort. I either wanted to be a social worker, case worker, or a mentor. I have such a giving spirit. I love to provide for others and do as much as i can for the broken and the needy. I knew that I pictured myself working with youth. After my first year in college I realized after working with youth since I was 15 that it was time to do what I wanted to do and what I thought was best for me. I was so used to giving and being there for others I never took the time to brainstorm and self reflect what was best for me and ways that I could be of an assist to myself. That is when I discovered my love and passion for entertainment.
Truth be told I wanted to be a teacher of some sort. I either wanted to be a social worker, case worker, or a mentor. I have such a giving spirit. I love to provide for others and do as much as i can for the broken and the needy. I knew that I pictured myself working with youth. After my first year in college I realized after working with youth since I was 15 that it was time to do what I wanted to do and what I thought was best for me. I was so used to giving and being there for others I never took the time to brainstorm and self reflect what was best for me and ways that I could be of an assist to myself. That is when I discovered my love and passion for entertainment.
What are some of the challenges you face as a female artist?
This is a great question. Male artist will try to play or use me because they feel I am weak minded or not strong enough to hold my own. I get a lot of artist who will want to do a song with me only to then want to take me out or get to know me more outside of the studio. One thing I don’t do is mix business with pleasure. With that being that it's great because i am unique and there aren’t a ton of female artist in the city, but my advice to female artist would be to never be too nice and to have a strong strict demeanor being in game otherwise it will eat you alive.
This is a great question. Male artist will try to play or use me because they feel I am weak minded or not strong enough to hold my own. I get a lot of artist who will want to do a song with me only to then want to take me out or get to know me more outside of the studio. One thing I don’t do is mix business with pleasure. With that being that it's great because i am unique and there aren’t a ton of female artist in the city, but my advice to female artist would be to never be too nice and to have a strong strict demeanor being in game otherwise it will eat you alive.
How has where you are from shaped your perspective on life?
Being from Roxbury I’ve witnessed a lot of shit. If you’re familiar with the area you can vouch, but I love where i’m from because it isn’t the best place, and to watch half of my friends not make it out of the funk and me being the one that's still standing is a huge advantage and blessing to me. My overall perspective hasn't changed because I see the same stuff happen everyday, i’m just trying to make a way out for my family. I’ll never forget that Roxbury raised me, it's part of the reason I have tough skin.
Is there anything you do to release stress and just zen out?
I love to meditate, read, do yoga, and hang out with friends. Might I add that I cherish alone time because it's sacred and essential to me, but one must have friends that recharge their energy. This means, friends who are as creative and open minded as you. You should be able to leave with your friends feeling refreshed, loved, and energized. Find people who are on the same frequency as you are as far as pure love and understanding goes. Don’t get me wrong, friends are hard to come by, but once you realize who you are and what it is you deserve you then start to attract that type of energy into your circle.
How do you stay so humble and grounded ?
The remedy to humbleness and groundedness has to be appreciation for me. Some don’t appreciate that there are many with situations worse than theirs, yet they still complain about worldly issues. I appreciate the little things in life because we should. There’s no reason to be unhappy if you aren’t on your deathbed or experiencing a tragedy. Humbleness comes with character, it all depends on the individual. I don’t like to boast about my accomplishments and appreciate compliments because people don’t have to be fond of you. Therefore when someone expresses gratitude or appreciation for my craft it's important to me.
Shout outs to anyone?
The highest source is to give thanks. Maliqe Young and Squeeze because those are my guys and are who I recorded my first song with.
No comments:
Post a Comment